In this video I am going to take a look into „Raw MIDI“ (hardware action signals), respectively "Result MIDI" (final transposition signals) and how we can use them in combination with AutoTonic and a DAW (I am using 'Logic Pro' here, but the approach is universal).
Please consider the composition created live/during this video to be 'no masterpiece' –- these were just some random triggerings to represent a theoretical result of a much more creative process/dedicated playing.
OVERALL INSTRUCTIONS (MAY VARY FOR THE VARIOUS DAW's):
I.) AutoTonic Settings Checklist:
- FILTER incoming signals (Ch.#1 only)
- Output on DIFFERENT Channel (CH.#2)
- Set EXTERNAL MIDI INPUT PORT in I/O Panel
II.) DAW Settings Checklist
- Create 2 x MIDI-compatible tracks (1 x Software Instrument, 1 x External MIDI Track)
- both tracks must be rec-enabled (ready) for recording
- make sure that signals will be split through MIDI channel separation (in 'Logic Pro' setting „Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording“)
- set "Software instrument" to CH.#2 and "External MIDI Track" to CH.#1
… and start recording to *both tracks* while actively monitoring only the "Software Instrument Track"
If you're confused about the routings I use, this is how they basically look currently:
Hardware→AutoTonic INST Bridge 1→AutoTonic INST Bridge 2→AutoTonic Bridge 1→AutoTonic→AutoTonic MIDI Bridge 2→DAW Bridge 2→DAW
- Hardware=MIDI Gear like my Doepfer SK2000, CME Xkey, Fatar Sustain Pedal, etc,
- AutoTonic INST Bridge 1 = For summing all devices into one Global MIDI Port
- AutoTonic INST Bridge 2 = For applying Global Channel# Changes or Pitch corrections BEFORE signals hit the DAW etc,
- AutoTonic Bridge 1 = For summing all final (note-generating) device signals into one place and prepare them for AutoTonic's input
- AutoTonic Bridge 2 = AutoTonic's transposed signals (destructive result)
- AutoTonic DAW Bridge 1= Port for preparing DAW signals, potential Applescript-MIDI Configurations applied here (eg, "RawMIDI ON, AutoTonic OFF", "AutoTonic ON, RawMIDI OFF" or "AutoTonic AND RawMIDI ON" etc,)
'Performance only' video:
THANK YOU for watching!